Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
THECITY OF LAKE WALES ANNOUNCES A FLAG DESIGN CONTEST!
Lake Wales-Lake Wales has countless attributes that any city would envy: beautiful surroundings, a quaint downtown, countless recreational opportunities; the list goes on and on. Yet, it lacks one thing that most other cities have – a city flag. This is the opportunity to have lasting symbol for the city that captures the history, beauty, and uniqueness of the community.
Submissions and Voting on the Designs
On behalf of the City, the Lake Wales Arts Council will accept submissions in person, electronically or through the US mail beginning November 13 through January 2, 2018. Lake Wales residents, design professionals, and students grades K through 12 who are Lake Wales residents, or are attending Lake Wales Schools, are eligible to submit a design for the city flag.
Student Worksheets Submission forms will be available for download here: Student Worksheet
All designs must meet the following guidelines:
· Artistmust be a Lake Wales resident, design professional or a student attending an elementary,middle, or high school located in the community of Lake Wales.
· Onlyone entry per person or firm.
· Entry may be submitted in any art medium and should be no larger than 11” x 17” and no smaller than 5” x 7”. Artists shouldrealize that the winning design must be turned into a digital picture to makethe flag. Therefore, designs might be slightly altered in the process.
· Images, colors, or patterns should relate towhat is symbolized…
· Limit the number of colors on the flag tothree, which contrast well and come from the standard color set.
· No writing of any kind or any seal otherthan that of the City can be included
· Avoid duplicating other flags
· Thewinning design will become the property of the City of Lake Wales.
· Entriesmust include Name, Company (if applicable), Phone, Email, Mailing Address,Grade Level (if applicable), Description of flag design and explanation ofdesign elements.
· Entries will not be accepted if they use the following: gradient color, two sides, designs that are plagiarized or are not completely original artwork
Submissions will be displayed at the Lake Wales Arts Center beginning January 2 through February 16, 2018. The public is invited to view the submissions and vote for their favorite design at the Lake Wales Arts Center located at 1099 State Road 60 East Monday through Friday, 10 AM-5 PM and Saturday,10:00 AM -3:00 PM.
After the contest ends, votes will be counted and the flag design with themost votes in each category; Student K-5, Student 6-12, Residents and DesignProfessionals will be announced at the Lake Wales Arts Council Arts Festival onSaturday, February 24, 2018 at 10 AM. Winners in each student category will receive a check for $100 while thewinning Resident and Design Professional will receive a check for $150.
The winning submissions will be reviewed by the City of Lake WalesCommissioners who will select the design to represent the City of Lake Wales.The winning designer announced at the Commission meeting on March 6, 2018 andthat designer will be presented a check for $500 and their flag design will beproduced and fly over the City.
Once submitted, all entries become the property of the City of Lake Wales and the designer relinquishes all rights to the design. The City reserves the right to alter, modify, or combine designs to create an official City of Lake Wales flag. It is important to note that if theCity Commission has the right not to select a flag design from those submitted.It may not be adopted.
Recommended Resources for Flag Design
GoodFlag, Bad Flag: How to Design a Great Flag
Whycity flags may be the worst-designed things you never noticed, TED Talk byRoman Mars
TheNorth American Vexillology Association (Link) http://nava.org/flag-design/
Direct questions to the Lake Wales Arts Council by email to email@example.com or calling LWAC at 863-676-8426.