C.L. Johnson, an associate of G.V. Tillman and 2 other businessmen in organizing Lake Wales, ordered construction of this Colonial Revival style residence. Tillman and Johnson first came to central Florida in 1905 to look for pine forests, a source of turpentine and other naval supplies. Johnson built his family's residence next to the G.V. Tillman house on a tree-shaded, hilltop lot overlooking Crystal Lake.
The Johnson-Matteson House is located at 315 E Sessoms Avenue.