Building the Organization
The Lake Wales Fire Department was organized in December of 1914 with all men in town participating. There were 2 very small stations built to house the fire fighting equipment, which included 2 chemical engines. The men were asked to fire barrages with their 6 shooters if fire broke out in their vicinity during the evening hours in order to alert the volunteers.
In 1928, city officials moved into their new City Hall, which included a 2 bay fire station. This facility served the citizens well for the next 72 years. During its use the fire service evolved, communications went from 6 shooters to telephones and sirens to 2-way radios. Engines went from chemical to motorized pumpers to large volume multi-function apparatus.
In August of 2000, we moved to our new fire station which includes the latest 800 megahertz (MHz) communication system, weather and dispatch computers, a fire sprinkler system throughout, and many other health and safety features incorporated in it.